LAPAROSCOPIC COLON SURGERY
Colon is the large intestine connecting small intestine with the anal orifice .
Laparoscopic colon surgery is from a advanced minimally invasive surgery indicated for
- Diagnostic laparoscopy to pin point the diagnosis for abdominal cavity , involving all organs of abdominal cavity, staging of colon cancer , and taking biopsy .
- Appendicectomy for acute appendicitis and fatal perforation of appendix.
- Inflammatory bowel disease .
- Stricture of colon and small intestine leading to acute intestinal obstruction and gangrene of intestine .
- Intestinal perforation , a fatal condition.
- Intestinal obstruction.
Abdomen is inflated with carbon dioxide under general anaesthesia , with 4 /5 holes ( ports) in the abdominal wall , a telescope is inserted in to the abdominal cavity, and entire operation is done under video assistance .
Procedures generally involves –
- Resection of the diseased colon or small intestine and the continuity of the colon is reestablished by a procedure called anastomosis ,which may be hand sewn , or by a instrument called stapler.
- Adhesiolysis of adherent intestine with itself and other organs causing intestinal obstruction and pain.
- Repair of perforated intestine.
- Resection of divertuculam and polyps.
- Less postoperative pain
- May shorten hospital stay
- May result in a faster return to solid-food diet
- May result in a quicker return of bowel function
- Quicker return to normal activity
- Improved cosmetic
WHO ARE THE CANDIDATES
It depends on the surgeon and anaesthetists decision , depending on the cardio vascular status of the patients , elligible for general anaesthesia with carbon dioxide inflation of abdomen , stage of the cancer , comolication arising from the disease , like gross sepsis and septicaemia , age .
Patients with heart failure , severe respiratory disease , morbid obesity , advanced cancers and previous history multiple abdominal surgeries and excluded .